Odell Park Lodge and Fredericton Botanic Gardens summer artist residencies are back in 2020. Applications open until the end of February.
The City of Fredericton announced the return of the summer Artist-in-Residence program introduced in Odell Park Lodge last summer and is expanding the program to include the Fredericton Botanic Garden, adjacent to the Park, as an additional venue for artists-in-residence.
Space will be provided to an artist (or artists) for a two-week period to work on existing projects or develop new projects in the natural surroundings of one of Canada’s best old-growth forests or in a nearby community-run botanic garden (open and free to the public). The residency will include a community engagement component, which may include an artist talk, workshops, scheduled open studio hours or another activity proposed by the artist.
Odell Park is a 175-hectare year-round park in the heart of Fredericton with a network of trails (16km) winding through forests with trees up to 400 years old. The Park is linked through trails to the Fredericton Botanic Garden, which covers 21 hectares of mixed forests, fields, and garden beds. Among the Garden attractions are magnolias, rhododendrons, peonies, lilacs and the Pollinator and NB Literature gardens. Artists are encouraged to explore and engage with the park and park users.
The residency will be available during July or August, subject to discussion with the artist(s) and includes a stipend of $500 per week (extra materials costs may be provided for workshops). Accommodation and travel expenses are not provided. This residency is open to all artists working in any medium. Artists are asked to include a description of the community engagement and public interaction they are prepared to deliver. Special consideration will be given to how and artist can make the best use of the unique forest and garden settings.
The artist is expected to be in residence during the day, Monday to Friday in the Odell Park Lodge (bottom level), which offers indoor and sheltered outdoor space to work. Artists at the Botanic Garden Resource Centre have the option to include weekend days in their residencies. The artist may also work outdoors within the Park or Garden (proposal subject to approval). Artists may also consult with members of the Botanic Garden and or a City forester (subject to advance notice and availability) to help inform their residency.
Information on the residency space follows.
Odell Park Lodge:
- Indoor space, 30 x 35 feet, with one wall of large windows overlooking a large green space featuring large pine trees. The room features exposed beams and a stone wall.
- Outdoor workable space features 10 x 35 feet of cover from the rain and sun.
- Lockable storage space for supplies
- Access to electricity and water
- Tables & chairs available
For more information about Odell Park
Botanic Garden Resource Centre:
- Indoor working space, approx. 16 x 20 feet, close to many Garden beds and Odell Park trails.
- Outdoor (unsheltered) workable patio space.
- Plentiful storage in basement. Building is locked when unstaffed.
- Electricity, water, Wifi, washroom, kitchenette
- Tables & chairs available.
For more information about the Fredericton Botanic Garden
Artists may apply by submitting the following:
- Resume and short bio
- Statement of interest (500-700 words), including a description of work to be carried out during the residency and what your perspective will bring to the program
- Description of community engagement and public access to be offered during the residency
- 10-15 images or 1-2 videos of current artwork
- Indicate availability July or August and preference for a two-week period
- Indicate if there is a preference for Odell Park or the Botanic Garden (or either)
- More than one artist may make a joint application, each submitting visuals and other information, if they are prepared to share the fee and working space
Deadline: February 28, 2020. Artists will be notified in March/April. Submissions can be sent by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or dropped off at City Hall, Service Centre, back door